Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 10: My favorite place to eat

I don't know if I have just one favorite place. I have one favorite Mexican place. And one favorite breakfast place. And one favorite sushi place. And one favorite ice cream place. But not just one favorite place to eat overall.

So I'm going to talk about all of them.

My favorite food is Mexican food. Lucky for me, I live in Texas where it's plentiful. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't love it. I've finally gotten him to love fajitas, so he always orders them no matter what Mexican restaurant we're at. A few months after we bought our house, he suggested that we try out a local place I'd never been to called Mena's. I was skeptical and initially declined but then decided what the hell, and off we went. Of course, Paul ordered fajitas. They have special fajitas that are seasoned with chipotle and he loves them. They also have a little twist in that they serve their fajitas with sauteed potatoes. I had the brisket tacos. It's shredded brisket seasoned with chipotle and served on hot corn tortillas with an avocado salad. I love Mena's.

My favorite breakfast place is a tiny little place called Bic's. They don't have a website. It's THAT kind of place. I remember the first time I went, I was with my mom and Diane. We went out to breakfast nearly every Saturday during my pregnancy. I recall walking in the door for the first time and feeling like I was in a small town. My dad's family comes from South Carolina and I felt like I had walked into a diner in South Carolina. Bic's is awesome. It's as old as I am and their food is good and cheap. Now that Ryan's here, I don't get to go out to breakfast as much, but when I do, we go to Bic's. I always order the Texas style french toast...which is 3 slices of french toast cut in half with butter melting all over them. It comes with a side of two eggs and bacon or sausage. I always pick bacon. I am ashamed to admit that I usually eat every bite of the french toast. Coupled with coffee, it keeps me full until dinner time.

My favorite sushi place is a little place called Carrollton Sushi. No one in my family likes sushi except for my dad. So about once every couple of months, we have dinner together at Carrollton Sushi. It's a tiny hole in the wall place that's in the same parking lot as an Albertson's. It's nothing special, but it's cheap and delicious basic sushi rolls. Nothing fancy here. I recently had dinner with a friend at a swanky sushi place in downtown Dallas. In the GAYborhood, actually. While it was good, I missed my simple philadelphia roll with my dad. I spent $30 on dinner that night and all we ordered was two rolls and a glass of tea. Carrollton Sushi is just a small place with simple rolls that are affordable and tasty. Part of the sentiment for me is that it's a place for me and my dad.

My favorite ice cream place is Braum's. When I moved to Illinois, I realized they lacked several of the southern fast food chains I was used to (Whataburger, Sonic, Jack in the Box, Chick-fil-a, Braums..) but the one I missed most was Braum's. Sure, you could go to Oberweiss or Baskin Robbins, but nothing was like Braum's. I spent my childhood weekends with my grandma and part of the fun of that was getting to go to Braum's and get an ice cream sundae. My brother, to this day, still only orders a banana split. I prefer the brownie fudge sundae made with german chocolate ice cream. It's a brownie on the bottom, hot fudge, two scoops of the ice cream of your choice, topped with even more hot fudge, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry on top. It's heavenly. And probably a week's worth of calories. But I sure did miss that when I was away for all those years. And now that I have a Braum's a mile from my home, I've noticed I don't go there nearly enough. Even just a scoop of strawberry on a waffle cone is something to write home about.

Those are the favorites that came to mind. I would love a sundae right about now.

No comments: