Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 08: The city I live in.

I live in a suburb of Dallas. Although when people ask, I generally just say Dallas. I'm going with that for this post. You all may have seen "Dallas" during the World Series. Or maybe watching a Cowboys game. I mean, simply googling "Dallas" returns pictures of the Dallas cast and several Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. I'll tell you - that's not my Dallas.

I grew up with cool parents who took me to fun events. I can't count how many times I've been to the Deep Ellum Art Festival. My mom and Diane were pretty poor when their relationship began. I only saw my mom on the weekends, so we were always looking for free things to do. Dallas as a great free "paper" called the Dallas Observer that lists all kinds of cool stuff, even free stuff, to do. So our ritual was to pick up an Observer, find something semi-kid friendly, and head out. I think that's how we started attending Easter in the Park.

Easter in the Park is an annual picnic at Robert E. Lee park in downtown Dallas. It's a gay event and features a pooch parade, in which dog owners dress their dogs up in costume and parade them down the road. Also at Easter in the Park is the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, playing in the background. My mom and Diane always took us to Eatzi's to pick out food for our picnic before heading to the park. It's one of my strongest childhood memories. It was always so fun. At the end of the events at Easter in the Park....a drag queen easter bonnet contest. Fun for the whole family!

Also home to Dallas is the State Fair of Texas at Fair Park. I can't even begin to explain the magnitude of the state fair. I'm pretty sure it's the most awesome one in the entire country.

There are just a lot of really cool things to do here. We have countless museums and that's just the Dallas side. Forget about Ft. Worth. I know I'm not going to convince anyone reading this to pick up and move to Dallas, but it's my home. I've lived elsewhere and while Chicago is magical and near and dear to my heart, Dallas is my home.

No comments: