So...if you want to babywear and use something other than a sling, you need to be prepared to shell out anywhere from $85 to $150 for a good one that will last forever.
Anyways, I got the Boba Organic in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Pax Baby lets you rent a carrier for two weeks for $9. A great option if you're new to babywearing and want to try one out before committing. It's brown and comes with stirrups for taller babies to rest their little legs and a hood incase it's raining.
Things I liked:
- It's organic and made from Texas cotton and made in the good ol' US of A.
- It's extremely comfortable.
- Easy to put on - snaps around your waist and across your back or chest depending on if you're wearing the baby in the front or back.
- Designed so that baby isn't dangling
- Able to be used by multiple people of varying sizes without a lot of work
Things I didn't like:
- While the Boba is designed for babies 15 lbs and up, it's still a very big carrier. Ryan weighs nearly 20 lbs so I didn't think it would be a problem. Unless you have a very tall baby, 15 lbs is still too small for this carrier, in my opinion.
- Probably due to the above, Ryan's head did not come all the way out, his mouth was in line with the top of the carrier.
- Ryan just plain didn't like it. I tried it with him in front and in back and he cried both times.
- You can't forward face with the Boba.
Overall, it's a great carrier. Just not great for MY family. Ryan hated not being able to see (facing in and on my back or facing in and on my front) and I also think he might have been a little bit hot. Coupled with the fact that he's a bit small for it, I don't think it's the one for us.
You can read about the Boba here. We should be receiving the Beco Gemini any day now and I have high hopes for it. Looking forward to reviewing it after we get to try it out!