Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SAHM: Day 2

Another "snow" day today. No work for Paul or I. Not even web mail for me. Apparently Large Arts & Crafts Retailer's servers were down. Oh yeah, we had rolling power outages today.

Yesterday was challenging. Today was even moreso. It's not just that we're being stay at home parents with a rambunctious 9 month old. It's that we can't go ANYWHERE. I don't think staying home would be so bad if I could go places, but we are literally confined to our house. We did manage to make the 3.1 mile trek to my mom and Diane's today though. I had to get out. The thought of staying home made me crazy. It took us 20 minutes to go that 3 miles, but it was worth it! It was nice. My mom bought Whataburger and Paul braved the really bad streets to pick it up. Then my mom made us all Irish coffees and chocolate chip cookies. I watched three movies on Netflix. It was nice to have my mom take care of us. And Ryan. And I took a nap!

Like I said, the entire state is having rolling blackouts. We had 2 just before 9 AM. We left our house at 9:30 and I know we had at least 1 more because our clocks were blinking when we got home around 5. I think the blackout freaked Ryan out this morning because he woke up earlier than normal. I was sitting in bed sipping coffee and watching the news around 6:20 when the power failed. I wasn't expecting it (we hadn't heard about the blackouts) and a couple of minutes later I heard the beginning of Ryan's cries. I think the sudden lack of white noise in his room and no light at all startled him. Startled me too.

Several school districts are already closed tomorrow and I'm guessing that my company will do the same thing they've done for the last 2 days - delay until 10 and then announce an all day closure around 9. They're saying more snow on Friday morning and that we won't get above freezing until Saturday. I never thought I'd say it but I am definitely ready to go back to work. As hectic and crazy as it is, I enjoy my drive to work and the time with my coworkers and seeing my little boy at the end of the day.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I can't say I'd be entirely disappointed if I had to spend another day at my mom's watching movies and eating cookies and playing!

No comments: