Friday, February 18, 2011

Am I The Creepy Lady Down The Street?

A couple of weeks ago, Paul and I left to go pick Ryan up from his grandparents' house. We noticed several cars parked on the street and I wondered what was going on. Until I saw the 6 foot tall giant stork announcing the birth of a little girl.

Now, I'm paranoid and am afraid of baby snatchers, so I'd never put something like that in my yard. I mean, who knows what kind of crazies might come around! I'm no baby snatcher, but maybe I am a little bit crazy....because, all I could think was, "How exciting! Maybe we can be friends!"

Paul (and the rational ladies on the BHB on babycenter) convinced me that it would be creepy and inappropriate to walk over there and introduce myself (even though they had a giant ass stork in their yard and their front door open and were hosting what looked like an open house). Maybe it's the southern coming out in me, but I thought it would be nice (and not creepy or inappropriate) to talk over there with Ryan and congratulate them. I tried to think back to how I felt during that first day at home and after Paul reminded me of my mental state, I agreed that it might be overwhelming to have some stranger come over and force her friendship upon me.

However, I also didn't put a giant pink stork in my yard announcing my child's name and weight and didn't have a steady stream of guests parading in and out of my house.

So I did the next best thing. I picked a baby card out of my stash of cards that I keep on hand and dropped it in their mailbox the next day. The card said congratulations, my name is Sam, I have a 9 month old, and here is my number and email address and let me know if you need anything. I was certain that they'd get the card and shoot off an email saying hi or be excited to know there are other families in the area and we'd become friends.

I guess I'm just an idealistic person. It's been 2 weeks and not a peep. In fact, I'm almost positive that they saw me checking my mail one day and closed their front door (which I've noticed they keep open because it's nice out). I sound like a scary stalker. I promise I'm not.

Maybe she's struggling with being a first time mom (I know she's a FTM because what respectable second or third or fourth time mom would put a giant stork in their yard?), maybe she is overwhelmed and suffering from PPD or just the baby blues? I was totally there and probably would have either been completely weirded out or cried tears of joy if this happened to me. Maybe she just hasn't had time to send an email or walk over here. At what point would it be awkward if we ran into each other? Maybe she's so sleep deprived that she hasn't checked her mail in 2 weeks and hasn't received my card? Maybe the mailman STOLE my card?!

Or maybe I'm just the creepy lady down the street.

No comments: