Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Christmas Eve

I woke up this morning to my beautiful son and husband playing in the living room. When Ryan saw me standing in the hallway, he smiled and crawled to me. He is exactly 7.5 months today. Who knew 7.5 months ago that I'd have this baby who could smile and crawl and show affection? When your baby is born, you love them more than you'd ever imagine and you hope that they love you back. You wait very impatiently for weeks and weeks for them to give you a smile, and when they do, your heart melts. My heart still melts every time he sees me across the room and smiles at me when our eyes meet. I love him more than I ever thought possible. And I am in awe of him every day.

I know I have so many things to look forward to. He's crawling, pulling up, cruising, and I imagine will be walking within the next few months. My baby is morphing into a little boy and it makes my heart break and swell with pride all at the same time. He's growing so fast and I can't help but think, "stay little. please. just a little longer".

As we prepare to celebrate our first Christmas together as a threesome, I'm just reflecting on how this time last year, we had just found out we were expecting a boy. We were still just two. We had no idea the changes that were to come. Your life really changes when you become a mother...whether you adopt, have a biological child, foster a child, or even act as a temporary mother during a student exchange. You become more than yourself, more than you thought was possible. I am so thankful to have my son. He is my SUN.

I am looking forward to tomorrow morning, all of us in our jammies, me with coffee, opening our presents and celebrating together. Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: