Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pie Time.

I keep forgetting that Thanksgiving is next week. I'm happily chugging along at work, scheduling interviews, when I see my calendar blocked out indicating I'm out of the office on Thursday. And then it dawns on me that it's Thanksgiving that day.

And for me, that means pie. I could give a crap less about the turkey, stuffing (blech), mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce. Give me pie and only pie. My Thanksgivings growing up did not typically include homemade pie. There was usually a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. Perhaps a sub par apple pie as well. Over the last few years, I've insisted on homemade pies and have volunteered myself to make them. Admittedly, some years have been better than others. Here's what's in the pie lineup this year:

Creamy Blueberry Pie - this one, I made last year and made on occasion throughout the year. I love it because it's a fruit pie that's a bit tart and nice and cool and creamy.

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake - This will be a new one for me to try this year. People like pumpkin pie and I like to give it a twist. I've done a pumpkin cheesecake before but I like the idea of a pie and a cheesecake all in one!

Classic Pecan Pie - Yup, the Karo recipe. It's the only way to go. I love pecan pie!

Banana Split Pie - No link for this one. It's a recipe of the mother of one of my coworkers. He brought it to work a few years ago and I couldn't get enough. It's now one of my family's favorites!

I'm debating on making an apple pie, if only to be able to try out these bad boys and making a pretty leaf top. They just look so cool. I have a friend who has made several pies with leaves baked onto the top and they're so beautiful.

There will also be a Marie Callendar cobbler. Because I can't be arsed to make a cobbler on my own after doing 3 or 4 pies.

I hated Thanksgiving as a kid. It was hands down my least favorite holiday. Now, I love it. We'll be celebrating at my mom's with 25 people in attendance. I sure hope they don't eat all the pie.

No comments: